From village to suburb of Vienna – The name “Hietzing” derives itself from “Hiezo” or “Hezzo” (short form of “Heinrich”). The first authentic mention comes from the year 1130. Since 1253 the Klosterneuburg Abbey appeared. The oldest properties were in the area of Altgasse, north therefrom (direction of the Wienfluss canal) were cattle meadows, a few south fields and expanded vineyards. In the vicinity of the Küniglberg and around the zone of the current Hietzinger cemetery, there was also a quarry as well as sand pits and gravel pits whose material was used in the building of Schoenbrunn castle.