1686

DSC_1009
2016// donaukanal, vienna

 



Anecdote

The name “Donaukanal” (“Danube Canal”), has been used since 1686, for the southern branch of the River Danube in Vienna. Originally a natural branch, during 1598-1600, it was regulated for the first time by Baron von Hoyos.

In the 19th century, the Schwimmtor, a movable floating barrier, was constructed near the upstream entrance to the canal. It was designed to protect the canal from floods and drift ice, and entered service in 1873.

Source wikipedia